Browsing a Forum
- An Overview
- When you choose to browse a forum the first screen you see is an
overview of activity in that conference, a welcome message, and a
set of options.
- Navigation Options
- Main Forum Menu will return you to the list of Forums.
- Next Forum will take you to the next one in the list.
- Topic List
- When you first choose a forum, you are presented with a list of the
topics in that forum. By default that list contains only topics
that have had a new response since the last time you read the topic.
Each row of the list is composed of the topic name and the number of
responses. If you are viewing "read-only" forums
without logging in, the software will display all activity within
the last week.
- Possible ranges
- With the "All" command, you may choose to view all the topics and
responses in the conference, and not just
the ones that have seen recent activity.
You may also select to see
only topics with "new" activity. That is, topics that have new
respones since the last time you visited.
Or you may select to see only those
topics that have seen activity within the last 7 days.
Or choose to see the topics you previously chose to "hide."
- "Suggest New Topic" allows you to suggest a new topic in the current
conference. Only a forum host may create topics.
- Choosing the "Help" option will get you to the help screens where you
can get, you guessed it, help!
- The "Search" button takes you to a screen where you can search the
contents of all the responses in the current forum. You can
search only the subject lines of each topic, or you can choose to
search through all the words in all the responses in all topics.
After you've read through all the responses in a topic you may want to add your own response.
Back to: Help for System Users
Back to: Main Index
Read next section: Reading Topics